Back-to-school time is hectic and busy for most families. It’s easy to let your home’s organization fall to the wayside. Plus, many great organization solutions are expensive. I’ve pulled together some free back to school organization tips. These great strategies that won’t cost you a dime!
- Throw it out! If you you are serious about organization, it is important to take a closer look at the “junk” or “trash” you are holding onto. Think about when the last time was you used certain items. For example, if you wore a particular item in over a year and you’ve gone through four seasons, you likely won’t wear it again.
- The items that made it through the trash-it process should be stored away in a logical fashion. What you use the most frequently, for example, should be stored where you can get to it easily. Less used items should be stored away.
- Are you storing your items in the right locations? What do you have packed away in a hall closet that should be in the attic? Are the kids closets a wreck because you aren’t trading out clothes for the season? Re-evaluate where you have items stored and group together as much as possible.
- Keep old plastic containers and jars from food items. Make sure you clean them well first, but they are perfect containers for nuts, bolts, safety pins and other small items that make messes. Label the lids in your storage room or laundry room. Then, you should be able to find these items easily and quickly.
- If you have to spend a few bucks for storage containers, make sure you make your first stop at the Dollar Tree. You can literally pick up hundreds of different organizing containers from baskets, plastic containers for papers or small bathroom accessories.
- Make sure you know what is coming into the home to keep an eye on clutter. The more stuff you have, the more clutter you have as well. One thing that seems to always pile up at my house are small toys that the kids collect from either gifts or fast food toys. Every couple months, I make sure to dump those items to keep the toy pool circulating.