Can you believe it is nearly September already? We sure can’t! Once the kids go back to school, the days and weeks seem to pass quickly. If can be hard to find time to sit down and eat a meal with the whole family. Today, we bring you a relatively inexpensive recipe your entire family can enjoy together, Veggie Stir Fry with Peanuts. The recipe for today, veggie stir fry with peanuts. It does not take too long to make, and we think your whole family will like it!
Veggie Stir Fry Ingredients:
- 1 cup of long grain white recipe (can be instant if you do not have time to cook regular rice)
- 1/4 cup of low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce (can be Tabasco sauce, Sriracha sauce, or whatever hot sauce you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 2 carrots sliced into very thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- 8 ounces of shiitake mushrooms with the stems removed and the caps sliced into thin strips
- 2 cups of bean sprouts
- 2 thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup of dry roasted peanuts chopped into small pieces
Veggie Stir Fry Directions:
Cook the rice according to the directions on the package. While the rice is cooking, whisk together the soy sauce, lime juice, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Set this mixture aside after you thoroughly whisked it together. In a large skillet, heat the canola oil. Once the oil has heated up slightly, add the red bell pepper slices and carrot slices. Stir them frequently for approximately 3 minutes (or until they have softened). Next, add the sliced mushrooms and bean sprouts in with the pepper and carrots. Toss them occasionally until all veggies have softened (approximately 3 minutes or more). Add the soy sauce mixture you previously set aside to the skillet and stir or toss gently to coat the veggies. Serve the veggie mixture over the rice and then top with the chopped peanuts and scallions.
If you want to enhance this recipe, you can cook the rice with coconut milk instead of water. Instead of cooking your 1 cup of rice with 1 cup of water, you cook with 1 cup of coconut milk. The recipe becomes creamy and even more delicious with this upgrade!